Wednesday, May 23, 2012

GOTR 5K

Saturday may 20, over 1500 girls and their runner buddies assembled in parking log K at George Mason University for the Spring Girls on the Run 5k.  Faithful readers, you know that I not only raised money for the GOTR-DC chapter, but then found a Northern Virginia chapter and local elementary school where I could volunteer.  Nervousness always creeps in before a race, and this one was no different.  Would my buddy run faster than me?  Could I motivate her enough to finish the race and continue to love running. 

When I arrived the parking lot was a sea of excited girls, and sleepy (adult) runner buddies…we hadn’t had our cup of morning coffee! Checked in, received my bib and free t-shirt and found the merchandise tent where I purchased a very cute GOTR hat (pink, of course) and a multi-band, a long tube that can be worn many ways.  I plan on soaking it in cold water and wear  around my neck during long runs in the summer, in the winter I’ll wear it around my neck and head and then pull the head covering down when I get too hot. 
Gotr28:00 am and time for the race. My buddy  and I started off strong running side by side, running  the whole route except for the two times we walked up hill.  A smile never left her face as we encouraged each other, crossing the finish line with arms raised in jubilation!
Gotr1
Even though raising money for GOTR was initially difficult, and I  felt like the new kid in school during the first GOTR meeting I attended, I had so much fun at the race…all that positive girl energy was inspiring.  Planning on continuing to volunteer for GOTR.  Join me!

3 comments:

Amy E said...

I did this race in December of 2010 and had the same fears as you! :) I was afraid my 4th grade buddy would outrun me! It turned out just fine though and we were so excited we finished! Great work!

Larissa T. said...

Oh it looks like fun! Great job, Carolina!

betty said...

WTG for both of you finishing and working together to achieve the goal of doing so!!!

betty