Tuesday, August 21, 2012

TBRP....Frida


Frida by Barbara Mujica

         


There is something that draws me to Frida Kahlo and her paintings.  I'm not quite sure how to describe what I like about them.  Is it that they are dripping with blood, or the skeletons that surround some of her paintings, the bright colors, or maybe it's her self-portraits that highlight her  famous uni-brow. (I have to pluck otherwise I would have one as well...!) Her story intrigues me.  She suffered a fatal accident that broke her pelvis, survived the accident and lived to become a world renowned  painter.  She married the famous painter Diego Rivera, whose paintings portray large women and the struggles of poor migrant workers, and she led a pretty racy sex life, divorcing and remarrying Diego, while having affairs with other women.
A found Frida, the book, at a yard sale and bought it with intentions to read right away, and instead it sat on the bookshelf for several years.  The TBRP challenge  persuaded me  to place the book on the list 'to be read this year'.  Finally I'm done with it and what a disappointment; grant it, the book is a historical fiction account of her story that is  narrated by her younger sister.  The entire book is nothing but a long list of complaints against Frida, and how poor Christina, her younger sister, was never appreciated, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.......
I remain a fan of Frida Kahlo's work and after reading this somewhat historical/fictional account of her story, I plan on delving deeper into the story of Frida Kahlo.
The Two Fridas - Frida Kahlo - www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org  The Dream - Frida Kahlo - www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org

Image sources:
http://www.hovied.com/entertainment/2010/frida-kahlo-biography-with-video-06076661.html
http://www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org/