Thursday, June 28, 2012

Post Run Treats

I learn so much from reading other blogs.  One of my favorite is themoreirun.com. Samantha writes about nutrition, fitness and running. Back in April, she posted this recipe for homemade oatmeal bars.  I couldn't resist.  Madeline made them for me and instead of forming the 'dough' into a rectangle, she scooped them into balls using the Pampered Chef scoop.  Delicious!  I decided to tweak the recipe a little bit and here is my take on Homemade Oatmeal Balls Post Run treats.


I used Chia seeds, rather than the Flax seeds, and chopped walnuts rather than almonds, as recommended on the recipe. I also added chocolate chips to the mix, and doubled the recipe for extra treats.  The chocolate chips melted once they were added to the warmed honey, peanut butter and vanilla mix.  I wanted them to remain, at least, somewhat intact, instead they added some chocolaty goodness to the peanut butter, almost like a peanut butter cup.  
Scooped the mix into bite size portions on a cookie sheet and then placed the cookie sheet in the fridge so they could harden.  



Once they were hard I placed two treats into a small plastic baggie and placed them in the freezer.  By they way, they freeze really well.  I take a baggie out before my run and they are defrosted enough by the time I get back.



Doubling the recipe made 16 treats
Enjoy!
P.S.  With the next batch rather than chocolate chips, will try dark chocolate M&M's.  I'll let you know how they come out!