Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Learn as I blog...series


I know I wrote that I wouldn't be joining any blogging challenges, but I couldn't pass up this series from Gifts we Use.  Instead of a challenge this is a series where Ferly will share her adventures in blogging and share  any tips/ideas that she has learned along the way.  
Gifts We Use {to grow, love and serve}

The first topic in the linky series will be My Pre-Blog Train of Thought.
Write about what your experience was when thinking about starting your blog.

Why start a blog anyway?
Good question! I started my blog to promote the knitting patterns that I was designing.  I had taken a design your own shawl class and the design bug hit me.  So far I've designed a scarf and three shawls. 
What is your blog about?
My blog is about my knitting designs, the quilts that I've finished, book reviews, life with teen girls and random thoughts and videos that I find on YouTube.
Who are you writing to?
That's an interesting questions.  I started promoting my patterns, then it became a place to write down my thoughts and ideas.  So, I guess I write for myself and anyone who is willing to read my blog.  But I do have a hard time with "who are you writing to?"  Most 'How to Blog blogs" recommend that you should write what you know, give advice, and stick to one genre in order to obtain a bigger following.  I agree, but I really like writing about what I want to write about.  My followers may be few, but they are GREAT!

Where are you blogging from {i.e. Blogger or Wordpress, etc.} Why there?
I'm blogging from Blogger.  It's free and it was easy to set up.  I've read that Wordpress is supposed to be better, but why move when you are happy where you are!
Share your journey into blog world!


3 comments:

Michelle said...

My topics are broader as well. Hope we will both learn a lot through this Link Party:)
Michelle

giftsweuse said...

Thanks for linking up Carolina! I tend to find myself blogging about all kinds of other things besides organizing too {i.e. the Learn As I Blog series}. Sometimes it's hard to stay on one genre when we wear so many different hats. Great to get to know you in this way!

~ Ferly
Gifts We Use {to grow, love and serve}

My recent post:
Learn As I Blog: Starting A Blog & Link Party #2

Unknown said...

Came over from Gifts We Use. Glad you can find the drive to write about more than one topic! :) I would love for my blog to (eventually) be about only baking but I have so many fun things going on in my life that I want to write about now.