Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Oldest Friend

Today’s NaBloPoMo prompt is to write about “who was your first friend”.  I don’t remember my first friend, but instead I will tell you about my oldest friend.  She and I grew up together while living overseas and I’ve known her now for over 25 years.  She is like family to me, I would call her more than a sister, she is my best friend.  How have we been able to stay in touch this long?  It hasn’t been easy….it has been hard work on both our parts.  When we moved away to boarding school we wrote to each other, then while in college just two hours away we would visit, now we text and FB.  Some months we are in touch daily.  Other times, weeks may pass before we talk, but each time we talk it’s like we just left off.  She has seen me at my worst, and my best, and joined me on the journey that is motherhood.  Her boys and my girls are friends, actually they call each other ‘something like cousins’. What has kept me turning to hear year after year?  She makes me laugh, she knows ALL of my secrets and has been there when I’ve needed her.  She could hear the sadness and tears flowing during that phone call many years ago and she said “come over”.  I can’t imagine a day without her….my oldest friend, I love her, and I’m going to call her right now!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a few friends I've known for 25+ years. I have a best friend I've known for 27 years. She is like family to me. I am very blessed for sure

samantha said...

What a great story!