Monday, February 4, 2013

New Year's Resolution and Chilly Cheek's 5K... virtual races. Part 1

What is a virtual race you are asking yourself.  A virtual race is a race that you run on your favorite course, on your own or with a friend on a specific day.do on your own, or with a friend on a specific day and you run your favorite course. Race includes a bib, race certificate and medal. Check this link out for more information on how a virtual race works.

The first virtual race I ran was the New Years Resolution Run For the Love of Kids, an organization that raises money for The Hole in the Wall Gang, a camp set up by Paul Newman. The camp is a year round center that serves children and their families coping with cancer, sickle cell anemia and other serious illnesses. You could choose from a 1 mile, 5K or 1/2 marathon; I choose the 1/2 marathon..  Dates to run the race were set at 1/31/12 midnight to 1/1/13 midnight.
How did I do?  I was scheduled to work New Years Eve and normally I just go home and we celebrate with fondue and I'm in bed by 10 p.m.!  This year we were invited over to a friends house, we planned on only staying 'a little bit', instead we ended up having such a great time playing games and drinking that we didn't get home until 12:30 a.m. Lesson learned.....don't run a race after working 12 hours, stay up until past midninght AND drink heavily!
The  skies were blue and temperatures were in the 40's which make for perfect running weather.  Head pounding and legs aching as I look at the running watch and see ONLY mile 7.  I was done!  As I entered  my results I added a comment that I had planned on running 13.1, but only made seven miles.  Days later when I looked at my results, which were entered under the 5K race I was so embarrassed,. The race directors must have thought "it took her an hour and thirty minutes to run 3.1 miles??"
Don't I look good after that run?
And look at the bling that I received in the mail.
Next up is the Valentine's Day Run.  Again, I signed up to run 13.1 miles (the 5K was sold out).  Run is ont he calendar and nothing is going on February 13...!



Happy New Year!