Friday, May 11, 2012

Trying to Pause and Pray

Source: juliafaria.com.br via Daniela on Pinterest
Raising teenage girls is hard.  When girls are little they let you dress them, they adore you, and want to be with you all the time!  Teenage girls are a different story, they think you are weird, dress funny, talk and laugh to loud and don’t want to have anything to do with you.  Which for me, a motherless daughter since the age of six, is really hard to accept.  Since I was so young when my mother died, I have idealized visions of what our relationship would have been like.  She would come over for coffee, help
me out with the girls when I needed her, essentially be there for me with unconditional love.  I know, I’m transferring that idealized vision onto my girls and it’s not fair to them.
So that said, it hurts when harsh words are thrown my way.  Deep down I know that its raging hormones and a normal developmental milestone.  I used to scream back in anger and say “you don't know how lucky you are to have a mother!”  They don’t need that.  When anger strikes I try and pause and say a little prayer “Lord, don’t let me say anything I’ll regret.  Lord give me words of kindness”.  Pausing and praying has helped, my voice remains calm and kind words come out of my mouth. 
But aren’t teenagers like toddlers?  When a two-year old is having a temper tantrum screaming and yelling at the child doesn’t help.  A hug, pat on the back and kind words help calm the storm.
I found the following poem after reading Allison Carmen’s post “A tip for a quieter home pause before you get angry.”  I’m going to copy it on card stock paper and place it on the fridge to I can read it often and remember to pause.
Before you leap out of bed in a hurry. Pause. Give thanks.
Before you take a bite or a sip. Pause. Enjoy.
When someone cuts you off on the way to work. Pause. Let go.
After you ask ‘how are you?’ Pause. Care.
As stress begins to overwhelm you. Pause. Breathe.
Before you take it all so seriously. Pause. Laugh.
Before you’re quick to give advice. Pause. Listen.
Before you turn on the TV. Pause. Connect.
When you feel your evening is slipping by. Pause. Be.
Before you say good night. Pause. Love.
Before you close your eyes. Pause. Dream.
Repeat.
Poem from trughletsandthoughbits.wordpress.com
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for including me in your post today. The Pause has changed my life! Great post! Best, Allison Carmen

Lisa @ Grandmas Briefs said...

Stopping by from SITS. I am the mother of three daughters, all now adults (26, 28, 29). The teenage years are indeed hell, but you'll get through it. Stay the course, stay with your gut. Eventually you'll be thanked for the work you put in. Honest. I never thought it would happen because I was the mean mom, the uncool mom who gave curfews and chores and made them go to church on Sundays and be home for Sunday dinner (well, dinner most nights). This too shall pass...fortunately! Good luck!

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs, www.grandmasbriefs.com

Robin said...

“Lord, don’t let me say anything I’ll regret. Lord give me words of kindness” -- I love this! I think this is a prayer would could all use more often. I have four daughters (13, 17, 19, 21). I feel your pain.

Stopping by from SITS.

Anonymous said...

I gave my mom a very tough time when I was a teenager - best wishes to you both for the road ahead. You will both grow through it.

Visiting via SITS Sharefest :)

betty said...

Those teenage years are the hardest I do believe! But believe it or (although it seems impossible to believe it when you are living them) the days do pass and you will find you'll have great relationships with your girls on the other side of their teen years. Pray, pray, pray, pray, pray! That's the only way me and my kids survived those teen years!

betty