Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

Those lyrics from a Jimmy Buffet song keeps running around in my head.  I need both, a change in latitude and a change in attitude.  Why?  Oh my!  Where do I begin?
I LOVE what I do professionally.  I can’t imagine doing anything else besides being a Nurse.  Nursing has afforded my the opportunity to see the world while serving in the Army Nurse Corps.  I’ve been able to meet many people from different cultures and economic backgrounds.  I don’t sit in a cubicle staring at a computer screen all day.  I help families learn how to take care of their premature infants and I get to work with some amazing nurses. It’s where I work that is getting me down, and wanting me to change my latitude.  This past Saturday when I walked into work the weight of unhappiness weighed heavy on my shoulders.  My steps were heavy as I climbed the stairs to the room I was assigned.  I could change my latitude but right now that latitude has afforded me a flexible schedule so that I can work part-time and be home with the girls. A change in latitude would place me at the bottom of the seniority list and I would have to go back to working nights and full-time.
I don’t like feeling ‘down’,  or coming in with a bad attitude.  Have you ever found that when you are with someone who is in a bad attitude,
complaining non-stop about this or that, that mood becomes contagious and then you’re in  bad mood as well, not knowing why?  I don’t want to spread that noxious contagion. That morning at work , I prayed the Serenity prayer over and over and over and over.
It became my mantra.  I also prayed asking God to tell me what HE wants me to do, what is HIS purpose for me?
I don’t know if you pray, or if prayer has worked for you.  That afternoon, after repeatedly praying the Serenity prayer, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace and acceptance.  Accept the things I cannot change: the many changes that are being thrown at us by management; changing my work latitude would greatly impact my family.  Courage to change the things I can: my attitude.  I stopped complaining and stopped listening to my co-workers complaints, instead meditating on the blessings that have been given me, a job, flexible schedule, time to cuddle babies and most especially time with MY family!
Thanks for ‘listening’.  How as prayer worked for you?
Image credit