Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Mother can never win!

I have a funny story to share.  My girls are tired of my sharing this story, they don’t think it’s that funny, but I think it reflects how a mother, especially of teenage girls can never win!
I’m a nurse, and nurses work weekends, holiday, nights, etc.  It’s my turn to work Christmas and where I work, we have to work the Eve and the day of the holiday, so that means I’m working Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  When the girls found out that Christmas was my holiday to work this year, they were really upset (they tell me now that they weren’t THAT upset).  The reason that they are upset is because I have them wait to open presents until I get home, which is usually between 7:45-8:15 pm.  Two years ago when I worked Christmas the girls were calling me at work just about every other hour begging me to let them open their presents. Cruel, you might think, but they are teenagers and CAN wait!  As I was attempting to enter the key in the lock, the door opens and there they were ready and waiting with my pajamas and a glass of wine, anxious to get the process started.  Hold on, I need to change and make a pit stop. So that’s the reason that the girls are upset, because I make them wait until I get home to open presents!
So, I was at work, two weeks ago and my manager came by and asked me if I wanted to have Christmas off!  Yes! I would still work Christmas Eve, be off on Christmas Day, and work December 26.  I knew the girls would be so excited!  I turned to my coworker and told her I couldn’t wait to get home to tell the girls.  I wanted to call them, but I wanted to tell them the good news in person.  I get home, call the girls to the kitchen and all I get is “I’m busy doing homework”, “what do you want?”  They get to the kitchen and I ask them to guess the news.  I asked them “what has been bothering you lately?”  You know what they tell me?  “The way you talk to much, ask us too many questions…etc!”  “No!”, I tell them, “what are you upset about my having to work?'”  “Oh, the fact that you have to work Christmas.”  No clapping, jumping up and down or visible excitement!  Nothing!  “Aren’t you excited?” I asked them.
You know what they say to me ,”we are excited, sorry we hare not showing more excitement….we are tired!”
I wanted to call my manager and tell her to forget it, I’m working Christmas Day! 
Silly teenage girls!!

1 comment:

Shelby (@every_blessing) said...

They brought you pajamas and a glass of wine, too? That's my kinda gift. ;) Your silly girls will be thrilled on Christmas day.